Emmanuel Victor Nii Tackie-Yaoboi
Telephone: 07745 873689
I was Key Stage 4 Mathematics Co-ordinator of West Exe Technology College, Exeter. As a Mathematics teacher with twenty-four years teaching experience both in Ghana and here in the United Kingdom, I see myself as an ‘educationist’ in that I have taught for five years in primary school, then two years in junior secondary school before almost nine years of secondary education in the UK. My record of achievement includes students both here in the UK and in Ghana, who are at universities all over the world, some of whom still keep in contact with me. I believe in education and the notion that every child by right must and should receive the best of education available at any given moment.
In the course of my career I have always been committed to increasing my knowledge and expertise in education. To this end I like to keep myself informed of the latest theories of Mathematics teaching and practical ideas that can arouse students’ interest and thereby make learning fun. I have been attending courses and working towards a postgraduate degree. Last year I did an independent research on ‘Making use of cross cultural opportunities in Mathematics – Global Dimension’ looking at global aspects and how these might be used to make Mathematics more interesting and functional thereby engaging especially disaffected learners in lower ability set groups.
As a Ghanaian-British my classrooms have always been lively and inspiring; my students in the UK have benefitted tremendously from the Ghanaian element, they show their curiosity by asking questions and discovering new ideas which creates interest and builds confidence, motivation and enthusiasm. Again, my classroom offers exciting opportunities for the consideration of global issues since Mathematics itself is central to much of the communication that takes place daily in all our lives; this affords meaningful mathematical activities.
· Other interest:
· Proprietor/Founder – Akuapem Hills (Royal) Preparatory School, Box 463, Akropong-Akuapem, E/R, Ghana.
· Vice chair – Plymouth and Sekondi-Takoradi, Ghana Link. http://www.plymouthghanalink.org/
· Played the role of ‘Gerald’ – BBC Radio Devon play – ‘Tall tales from the museum’
· Played the role of ‘Colla’ - BBC Radio Devon play-
· ‘The Day Will Come’ The Radio Musical http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/content/image_galleries/radio_musical_gallery.shtml?28
· PCC Member – Deanery Synod representative of Chudleigh Parish Church, 2003 to 2005.
· Chorister – Chudleigh Parish Church of St. Martin & St. Mary.
· Tennis – 2007&2008 ICC Winner; Member of Newton Abbot Tennis & Squash Club.
· Football – Five-a-side games with colleagues.